When “All” are NOT Welcome–Getting Rid of that Pesky “All” Option on Dashboard Interactive Filters

What’s the goal here? Hiding the “All” option in a dashboard’s Interactive Filter.

That Pesky “All” Option on the Interactive Filter Has Got to Go!
Monty Python and the Holy Grail – The Rabbit Scene

In a scoped application, I have multiple dashboards that use the same interactive filter. The reports in that dashboard show values from a custom table which is updated weekly with a scheduled script execution. The day the script runs is the date added to a second custom table that contains the report run date. This is used to populate an interactive filter that is on each of these dashboards.

Continue reading “When “All” are NOT Welcome–Getting Rid of that Pesky “All” Option on Dashboard Interactive Filters”

Synch Active Directory Users’ Status with ServiceNow Users – With Efficiency and Pizzazz

I found something peculiar with the way our LDAP user import was set up (or at least I felt it was a bit peculiar). We have never synched our ServiceNow users’ statuses (active/locked out) with the associated status in active directory. This rarely came up until I was asked to create a unique notification report for HR that required the knowledge if a user was active or not. This is my saga to find a way to ensure the users’ statuses in ServiceNow matched their status in active directory.

The back story (Note this was all done in our dev environment using an update set first [just in case you imagined I was doing this the fast way – directly in production.]):

Continue reading “Synch Active Directory Users’ Status with ServiceNow Users – With Efficiency and Pizzazz”

Mapping Self-Service Variables to Incidents

So here’s a request we had today. The service desk manager needed a new option for a self-service variable when a user was submitting a request for a problem they were experiencing.

To go with this new option, the manager needed the incident that is created to have specific values set for specific incident fields when a user selects this new option from the variable.

For the variable, the “Type Specification” was: Continue reading “Mapping Self-Service Variables to Incidents”

ServiceNow List Field Type: Displaying Values in Email Notifications

Displaying List Field Type Values in Email Scripts

When trying to display values from a List field in an email script you can’t simply display the field name from the form.

Here’s my specific work example:

I created a List field type called “Sizes Needed” (u_sizes_needed) in a form used to submit a marketing request.

This List type field references a custom table that has a single custom field called size (see Figure 1).

Continue reading “ServiceNow List Field Type: Displaying Values in Email Notifications”

Service Portal Journey Day 1

Join me in my journey to create a Service Portal for the Payroll department within my company to manage requests. My goal is to chronicle this entire process so I can reference it later for future Service Portals and so you can also use it as a guide for developing your Service Portal.

With every new software application the beginning is diving directly into coding … so here we go.

Ummm, wait a minute Rick. You code first? How do you know what the heck to code?

Continue reading “Service Portal Journey Day 1”

Multi-Select Dropdowns in ServiceNow Don’t Exist – Here’s an Alternative

One thing that I find challenging in creating ServiceNow forms is the absence of multi-select dropdowns. There have been many times a customer needed to have this ability and I have resorted to using a series of checkboxes (true/false field type) as my alternative. I don’t like it, but it serves the purpose. Slushbuckets are only available for catalog items and record producers so I don’t have those available.

What’s a developer to do then?

Continue reading “Multi-Select Dropdowns in ServiceNow Don’t Exist – Here’s an Alternative”

Using GlideRecord to get One Record

One of the coolest capabilities of ServiceNow is using Javascript to access database records. This is done using the GlideRecord() object. If you’re like Rick, you spent time searching how to use GlideRecord and when you found a solution, you copied and pasted it into your client script and moved onto the next challenge.

I discovered today that the problem with this technique is the first solution I found was not the optimal solution. Fortunately I happened across a TechNow Video that enlightened me on the best way.

In this case, I am trying to get a single user record from the sys_user table. Once I get the record I then use the person’s user_name from the user object to search for a record in a custom table. So here’s the inefficient way I was doing it (not efficient way in orange highlight):

var person = new GlideRecord(‘sys_user’);

Continue reading “Using GlideRecord to get One Record”